Start a New Search


  • Catholic Community Services - Housing and Essential Needs
    100 23rd Ave S, Seattle, WA 98144

HEN - Housing and Essential Needs

Agency: Catholic Community Services - Emergency Assistance Services - King County

100 23rd Ave S
Randolph Carter Family Center
Seattle, WA, 98144 Map
Phone: (206) 328 - 5755
Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm.

Service Description

The Housing and Essential Needs program (HEN) provides rent and utilities assistance to those enrolled in the state's Medical Care Services (MCS) program, who do not receive cash assistance, and who qualify as homeless or at-risk of homelessness.
HEN is not an entitlement program, and under HEN, participants do not receive any cash.
Catholic Community Services distributes checks to landlords and/or utility companies.
Utilities assistance is limited to electricity, natural gas, sewer, water, garbage, and utility deposits.
The maximum amount of combined monthly rent assistance and utility assistance per month is dependent upon living situation and will be evaluated at intake appointment.
In addition, the program may pay up to $400 in back rent/utilities one time only.
Applicants will be eligible for ongoing assistance as long as they are enrolled in MCS and funds are available.
Does not provide housing search assistance.
HEN also provides a limited amount of cleaning supplies, hygiene supplies and transportation assistance.
Must be enrolled in HEN to receive supplies.
Transportation is limited to one Orca bus pass in the amount of $50 per client once per 30 days.


Days of the Week: Friday; Monday; Thursday; Tuesday; Wednesday
Disabilities and Health Conditions: General Disabilities
Languages other than English: Spanish


Applicants must be enrolled in the Medical Care Services program and must qualify as homeless or at-risk of homelessness.

Criteria to qualify as a being at substantial risk of homelessness may include having:
- Pay or vacate notice
- Eviction notice
- Utility shut-off notice
- Late payment notice
- Certification of potential eviction
- Certification of rental obligation

People may continue to receive rent or utility assistance for as long as they are enrolled in the MCS program.
HEN rent and utility assistance is available ONLY to MCS recipients.
Persons enrolled in the Aged, Blind and Disabled (ABD) program (those formerly on Disability Lifeline - X) do not qualify for HEN assistance.

Application Instructions

Call to make an appointment. Appointments must be scheduled; no walk-in clients.
Appointments will be held at the following Community Service Offices:
- Belltown
- White Center
- Kent, Federal Way
- King North

Documents Required for Housing Assistance:
- DSHS client identification number
- Valid photo ID
- Pay or vacate notice, eviction notice, or a statement from your landlord that you will be evicted if you do not pay your rent
- The person who collects your rent must submit a W-9 form

Documents Required for Utility Assistance:
- DSHS client identification number
- Valid photo ID
- A utility bill in YOUR name
- A utility shut off notice or late payment notice

Documents Required for Move-in Assistance:
- Lease agreement
- Statement from your landlord or
- Statement from a family member or friend to whom you pay rent
- The person who collects your rent must submit a W-9 form

Forms will be available on the website:



Business Hours

M-F, 8am-5pm.

Area Served

King County.


Telephones: types, numbers and hours
HEN Intake (206) 328 - 5755

Last Update